View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
mdmarmd
Established Member

M.O.C. #20369
BB_TX Thanks. I think I'm getting closer to the problem. I was so afraid that I might not have access to the problem source but after I removed a panel in the storage compartment I gained access to the back of the outside and storage GFCI protected sockets that are most likely daisy chained to the bathroom. I didn't check the inside of the outside wall socket because I didn't want to break the silicon seal around the socket housing if I don't need to. It has two wires coming in to it.

But the storage compartment socket looks most suspicious. It has three lined coming into it. When I opened it I could see that the hot wire was already coming loose and the neutral one was barely on. These sockets have insulation cutting wedge type clips for the wires but they clearly are not deep enough to reliably hold three insulated wires because the wedge widens distally meaning the last wire will really not have much to hold it in. I can't believe they would use such an unreliable way to connect these since the vibration of a moving RV alone could loosen this up.

I wonder if this most superficial of the three wires goes to the bathroom. The contact point may have been so marginal that the hairdryer current may have been high enough to burn the contact out if it was creating enough resitance at the point. So that might explain why it became permanenty disrupted after that event.

I have guests today so I didn't test the voltages yet but I probably will tomorrow. I may turn the relay off and pull all three wires out and then check them for continuity with the bathroom socket to see if I can confirm which wire actually goes there. I can't visually trace where the wires go from the opening because there are too many obstructions. If nececessary I could open one more panel and possible crawl into the space enough to visually see which wire goes upstairs in this area.

I am encouraged that at least I have access to these interconnects so hopefully I can find the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Socket.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Compartment Socket.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	676  
mdmarmd is offline   Reply With Quote