View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
This goes back and is along the same lines as an earlier discussion about trailer weights and axles. The tires, wheels, axles are all vitally important in getting us down the road safely. Dean mentioned 'fluff factor' in his post above, I happen to agree that the G rated tire gives a little extra cushion before we exceed its max carrying capability. With an 'E' rated tire, I feel (and this is a personal opinion) we are at, or extremely close to, the maximum carrying capability of that tire all the time (just like we are with 5.7K axles). If we experience any type of abnormal loading (heavy cross-wind, high crown, even unique loading of the trailer for a particular trip), we could theoretically exceed the limits on the tires and / or axles. By having G rated tires, aired to 90 or 100 lbs we gain several hundred pounds of additional weight carrying capability to handle those exceptions. It doesn't modify the certified carrying weights, just gives us a cushion should we experience something out of the norm.

I realize there are thousands, possibly tens of thousands, of trailers out on the highways running E rated tires and 5.7 or 6K axles. But upgraded tires (or axles) are just like insurance, you hope you never need to use it but when you do, then insurance is a good thing.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote