View Single Post
Old 12-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #16
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
Hello Bierp,

I am seeing the same latencies as Joint Venture II.

Brad, further... I don't think there will be much difference between the standard Starlink and High Performance Starlink in terms of latencies or upload/download speeds. The real difference, I think, is the increased view of the sky.

The standard system sees a cone with a 100 degree angle, the high performance system can see up to 140 degrees. While this does not seem like a whole lot at first, it is a really huge increase! The area in the sky each unit can see is the tangent of half that angle, squared, times Pi times the satellite distance. So comparing 140 deg vs 100 deg is:

[tan(70 deg)]^2 / [tan(50 deg)]^2 = 5.3

So the high performance unit can see more than 5 times more of the sky and, assuming an even distribution of satellites, 5 x the number of satellites from which to choose to connect to!!

Best Regards, Mike
Thanks for the math, Mike and the explanation. I suspect this would make a practical, real world difference, especially for those tree covered parks we love to frequent up here in western Canada.
Next steps for me is that there are 3 favourite spots that are not yet available, including the one we spend quite a bit of time in AZ. Friends tried a regular Starlink dish there last year and I helped them try to configure it. We saw great speeds at times, but it was not reliable. Right on the edge of the zone, but it was problematic enough for me to hold off. And, I just checked the map again, and it has not changed since spring.
We are leaving for AZ in a couple days, so for at least the start of the trip it will be crappy wifi and cell hotspots. But, Starlink is definitely on the radar, and this has been really helpful!

Brad