View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 01:04 PM   #36
Rickatom

M.O.C. #33092
Thumbs up Replace norcold 2118 with residential

Well I tackled the beast this weekend, and I have a story to tell. It is not all that cut and dry, but can be done.

First of all, finding a residential refrigderator that is in stock, at the store, is your first challenge. Best Buy had a nice unit, but had to ne ordered sevetal days out, Home Depot has no inventory and must be ordered. We lucked out with Lowes.
Second challenge was the right unit. The Norcold is 2 door, but not very deep. Our camper. Where the unit sits, is right behind our sink island. I wasnt about to remove that. So I only had 27 inches to get a nrw refridgerator in without the doors.
I, with help from fellow camper, removed the norcold from its spot, and woth a rug under, slid to the door.
Another challenge. Norcold would not fit through the door. I could not make the turn. The fins and the piping in the back would not go, it was too wide. So....
Resort to Youtube....disassemble the norcold. Lots of random screws, unless you have time, dont expect to reassemble the unit. Anyway, finally removed the cabinet in two pieces, along with doors and trays.
Next challenge, reinsulating the empty spot. I used foil sided foam sheets. I cut to fit 3 sides and top. Removed glass insulation. Sprayed adhesive to walls and stuck foam to it. Went to outside removeable vents top znd bottom, cut a second foam board to fill the gap and then used can great stuff to fill in any holes or voids. Tucked away any wiring from 12v system, and plugged gas line. Cleaned the pladyic vdnt covers and foil taped the vents so mo wasps/bugs would get in and nest. Do this on both vents.
Next challenge, is installing new residential refridge you just bought.
We did not go with the small Magic chef unit. It would have bern easier, but smaller and alot more space to fill the void. We chose from Lowes. Fridgidaire model LFTR1835VF....SERIAL. BA32517459..
With the doors removed, and fert removed, it fit through the camper door, but not without a fit. We had to make an immediate left turn alonh a short hallway to get into kitchen. Pushed and tugged it finally went in. On a rug, we slid around the island. With the cabinet handles removed, we lifted the fridge onto the ledge of the slidout. Slid it over about a foot then into place.
I needed to make doors open to left, so swapped hindges. My bottom refridge door will not open completely due to the island. Make sure all shelving is in place before installing doors. Once reassembled, slide unti into the hole. The front feet overhang the slideout frame as well as the doors but not past the slide floor. I am going to build a platform and reface the surrounding cabinet around the fridge to close the gap.
Rickatom is offline   Reply With Quote