View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
I suffered a similar voltage problem when our local hydro utility dropped a hot wire onto the neutral and my house was hit with 240v. I took the toasted parts to their reception desk and requested their manager take a look. The utility offered to pay for the damage, providing I provide receipts.
Regarding the question of 30 or 50 amps; the maximum amount of current delivered to your rig is set by the Camp Ground's wiring and their service breaker, not by your system. Each of your appliances demand current when they are switched on and if you exceed the rated supply, then the breaker protection system will act, just like an overloaded mains breaker will at home. If more current is demanded of a one of your internal trailer circuits, then the affected circuit will be opened by its breaker, or fuse.
As far as your trailer wiring and appliances go, the breakers and fuses in your fuse panel limit the maximum current delivered, (but not voltage, which should be controlled by the hydro supply,) and the breaker or fuse will open the circuit if the current is exceeded, protecting the supply wiring. The appliance electronic circuit is sometimes fitted with small current glass-walled fuses to protect it.
In a typical residence, a large voltage surge may generate heat too quickly for the breaker system to respond in time to isolate the on-line appliance, so surge protection is often used. Simple surge protection is typically a sacrificial electronic part which limits peak voltages, normally selected to control the duration and amplitude of the typical spike. Sophisticated (and expensive) voltage control 'clamps' the supply to the normal range, while low voltages can be 'crowbar' lifted to normal levels. Some voltage regulators can withstand a dead short and reset to normal when the problem is removed.
I have some experience with industrial electrical systems, and only where internal spikes, generated by the other in-plant devices, are expected, is voltage regulation employed. The hydro supply is expected to deliver voltages within reasonable limits.
If short duration voltage spikes are typical in RV parks, then it would seem smart to provide protection, especially for the converter, if they lack internal protection.

Hope this helps,
maintechfotog is offline   Reply With Quote