Thread: New 3295RK
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
jerry2rez,
I had NO problem towing the rig with the 250. It pulled it with no problem. The only time I had any concern was with a "quick" or emergency type stop. But the 3295 is one of the heavier pin weights in the Montana line. And the load did cause the truck to sag. I had the SD version so it had all the HD towing options. It apparently did not have extra support in the rear however. The few times I traveled at night I got the headlight flash indicating oncoming drivers thought I had my beams on HIGH. If I had kept the 250 I would have put the air bags or the Timbren springs on it.

This was a few years back. The 250 was a 1999 or 2000 model. I now have a SD 450. It is a 2002 and still has the 7.3 PSD engine and the same transmission as the 250 that I had. The difference is in the frame and suspension. I also got a rear end with the 4.88 ratio. The 250 rode like a car and the 450 rides like a truck! Very stiff suspension. But I have virtually no sag whatsoever.

There are many folks pulling the 3295 with 250s and they report no problems. The new engines and transmissions plus the integrated tow package is fantastic from the reports I've read. I'd still plan on some extra support on the rear axle with the 250. I think there might be enough sag to warrant such a step.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote