View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #71
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
Lots and lots of info here. You are appropriately diligent about the big bucks that you are about to spend on a truck and trailer. I also did a ton of research before I bought and have a few comments:
1. I am not surprised that the Ford vs Chevy vs Ram discussion elicited many, many comments. I am also surprised that it didn't end with "You're stupid!" and the text book rejoinder "No, you're stupid!" As you can see, these truck brands have a lot of brand-loyal customers!
2. Published towing specs can be subject to fudging by the manufacturers. They pump them up because having the highest numbers might be the final decision point. Make sure there is plenty of excess capacity in whatever you pick.
3. The CCC in your post seems a little low to me. I would look for a trailer with better CCC because you will end up with more gear than you think.
4. I finally decided it was a toss-up, but someone whose advice I trusted told me that Ford was the best tow vehicle, and if I didn't believe it then I should count the trucks at a campground or horse show. Ford outnumbers the rest combined, although RAM has made some significant inroads lately and the new owners of Rams told me that the prices were unbeatable. The new Fords look pretty good, though. Make sure you consider the fuel capacity, because 30 gallons isn't enough!

My truck is the first truck I ever owned and I did similar research to yours, likewise on the trailer, and I am happy with both. I am still torn on a couple of issues like SRW vs DRW, club cab vs super cab, kitchen island, bigger couch, 40 vs 32" TV. But overall we weighed all the options and made the best choice.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote