View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Before I get into this let me make some statements.

I don’t recommend using the dryer outlet with any kind of “interface box”.

I don’t recommend any one try to change the receptacle to accommodate a 50 amp RV unless you are a licensed electrician.

I don’t recommend using a service for your RV that doesn’t include a separate ground wire.

I don’t recommend using 2 110-volt extension cords plugged into separate outlets the way you describe in your post.

My qualification is I have training certificates in 3-phase AC. This has nothing to do with household electric wiring.

Now my practical experience does take me into household wiring. I also have coffee with a licensed electrician on Wednesday morning and I do pick his brain about a lot of the electrical stuff I see here.

The difference between the dryer receptacle and the 50-amp RV receptacle is 20 amps and the lack of a separate ground wire. The house wiring will be the correct size for a 30-amp 220-volt circuit. A licensed electrical would not use the existing wiring or circuit breaker to install a 50 receptcale.

Now a word of caution about using 2 110-volt extension cords.
It is possible by plugging in to different parts of the house to wind up with a 220 volt potential between the 2 cords. By wiring direct to one unit as you have indicated you could possibly set your self up to damage something or your self. The “Cheater Box” that some of use in 30 amp only RV parks is wired so that is doesn’t make any difference if the 2 110 receptacles used are on different line circuits or not. Although it will not fool a GFI receptacle.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote