View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ray,
DO NOT USE THE 220 DRYER OUTLET. [s]It can be used but an interface box needs to be built to redirect the wires to make them compatible with your 50 amp on the trailer.[/s] The wiring is different and would have to be changed at the circuit breaker and the dryer outlet changed to an RV outlet. Per Jim Fischer.

You can use the 15 amp but make sure the extension cord is heavy duty. If you don't have one, I claim it is worth the investment to carry with you.

Second thought you can use two extension cords. One to trailer and second one directly to the electrical heater so it is powered by the house and not the Monty. Feed through the convenience center or the "hole" at the corner of your living room slide. Lift the carpet at the corner. I like this idea better. Make sure the two extension cords are fed from separate breakers in the house.

Ref: power usage as with anything you will have to be cautious on overload. Your water heater, microwave, and electric heater each at max can use 15 amps to 20 amps. So I recommend not running them at the same time. You will have to have access to the house circuit panel to trip the breaker when you forget and exceed current draw.

You can use your water heater and furnace on propane and not use the electric heater. That will require a bottle refill about each three days.

Good luck and these are my opinion.
Happy New Year and safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote