Thread: rv dodoes
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #31
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I think everyone has a different speed at which to tow their RV. I also think everyone has valid points as to why they tow at that speed. If 62 is the safe speed why isn't 55 a safer speed? If 70 is to fast why is 62 the right speed. I think it boils down to what you are comfortable towing at. Don't get mad at me but if I was 65/75/85 I would probably tow at a slower speed. At that age your usually not restricted to being back to work at a certain time and your reflexes are probably becoming a bit slower. In other words you are starting to become a road hazard in some ways, no different than those going to fast. Not trying to start a war here but actually stating statistics. In my driving in a car around the Phoenix area it is amazing that most of the problems on the freeways are people who are quite a bit older driving 10/20 MPH under the speed limit in their cars (not RV's) with traffic going hellter skelter all around them, there is also those that are not that old but are in to big of a hurry and are trying to go way faster than the flow of traffic. Either way it is a safety issue and makes a huge hazard on the roads that you have to be aware of and take into consideration.
I agree you can stop an RV at 62 MPH better that at 70/75 but I will bet my money on it that I can stop my RV at 50 MPH better than you can at 62 MPH.
I am not trying to piss anyone off but merely trying to apply logic here to the best speed at which to tow a trailer. There is no best/safe speed at which to tow a trailer. I believe that you should obey the speed limit and take into consideration the TV, RV and the tires and setup that you are towing with. Just because some people are more observant than others and have quicker response times than others mean that they might be able to safely tow a bit faster than others. Driver attention or fatigue also has a lot to do with towing ability. Bottom line is it takes a certain amount of distance to stop with our rigs towing a trailer. If somebody is able to see an accident about to happen and apply the brakes sooner it makes a huge difference.

I say drive at a speed that you are comfortable with but realize others may be comfortable driving a bit faster. I am not advocating people tow 75/85 MPH consistently. I am just saying their is no perfect speed at which to tow. It all depends on equipment, traffic and drivers ability and experience.

You will see me pass cars to get out of a pack of people doing what ever the lead car is doing on a snowy road because I do not like being part of the train. I would much rather pass a few cars and get out of the pack so I am not depending on what some other drivers abilities are or are not up to par. It is amazing as how people drive. As a comedian once put it, "any one going faster than me is an idiot and any one going slower than me is stupid".

Ok now I am safely off my soapbox without having anyone rear end me or having run into the back of another rig or even just been evolved in an accident.

Tom Marty