View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

We did change our 26 gallon diesel for an internal 50 gallon tank and then got the Ford dealer to update the truck software for the 50 gallon option that is already in the software. We really like the range with 50 gallon and the bed does not have a fuel tank in it!
I, too, added a 50 gallon tank to my 2012 F-250 diesel. Then I went over to my Ford dealer to update the onboard computer to reflect the larger fuel tank. Oh no, they said, that would void the warranty. BS, I said, because it's a programmable option. They wouldn't budge. I had to find an independent dealer who flashed the computer for me reflecting the larger fuel tank (and yes it was a chooseable option!), as well as all the latest updates for the computer. The upgrade cost me $100, but I learned something about my dealer!

Anyway, on our way up to Sacramento from the San Diego area in April to pick-up our Monte we averaged 18.90 mpg, without the trailer. This summer we hauled Monte once around the U.S., about 9K miles worth, and averaged 12.26 mpg - a 10% improvement over our 2006 F-250 identically equipped, but towing a 25% lighter travel trailer.

I'm completely impressed with the new 6.7 liter engine, in fact we call the truck "Brutus".

On a side note, I buy a box of DEF at an automotive store and keep it in my truck box until I need it. I used about five gallons of the stuff on the 9K mile trip.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote