Thread: Wiring problems
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Wiring problems

I found a couple of wiring issues in our 2003 montana 5ver. I could use some advice.

First, there are two separate breaker boxes. One box looks like where the power comes in. It has a 20 amp and 30 amp breaker for 50 amp service. The ground wires are badly burned in this box. Two of the white neutral wires have the insulation bubbled and scorched. I am not sure when in the past this happened, the trailer is new to us. Does anyone know what could have caused this? It seems to be still making a good ground and the power is strong and steady. Do I need to fix this, and if so how? Should there be enough extra cord that I can just cut off the wire and reconnect it? The hot wires look fine, and all the wiring in the second breaker box looks good.

My second problem is in my dc fuse box. One of the connections on one fuse is loose. If there is a fuse in it, it holds it in place, but if you take the fuse out, it looks like it has been touching the other side and bridging the gap. It looks a little burned. I also noticed that this connection is putting out slightly less voltage than the other fuses. For example if the others are putting out12.25v this one would be at 12.15v. Is this enough to cause an issue? Again, how would you fix this? Would the whole fuse board have to be replaced? I am not sure what this fuse goes to. It is possible it goes to some of my outside lights that are not working (I thought due to bulbs). I haven't gotten a chance to check this out yet.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote