View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #44
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
The GVW on my trailer is about the same as yours, but my previous MC was an '06 2500 and was significantly over the GVWR by about 2k lbs.
Although I had modified the truck to "handle" the weight (power enhancements, gearing swap, suspension upgrades), I was less and less comfortable knowing I was over the rated limits on the truck.
But the biggest factor (for ME) is the substantial improvement in the stability of the dually, especially on winding or rough (or both) roads.
I see many SRW trucks (3/4 and 1 ton) that I'm quite sure are over their ratings...5ers in the 40 ft. range, triple axle toy haulers etc.
NOT saying you are in that category of course...in fact I'm pretty sure you are not based on your obvious knowledge and experience.
Never experienced any stability issues ,but as said this 2014 Megacab short bed 3500, is more stabile to me then my old Superduty 350 short bed. Both got the job done nicely.

To me the tire capacity is the limiting factor on a SRW , my 2014 6.7 cummins will tow the same weight as that 2014 long bed dually, but it can't haul it. I'm comfortable if I am within my tire weight ratings, that being the pin weight, and truck weight on those rear tires.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote