View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, I think this is a challenge for all of us except maybe those experienced 18-wheeler drivers. I've had help from several people over the years and a couple of points stand out.

1. Slow. Slow. Slower yet. Take your time. Get out and doublecheck if needed. This means moving the rig very, very slowly.

2. Make very small corrections as you back up. Many people try to make big corrections and just get in more trouble. If you need a big correction, pull forward and then make smaller corrections while backing.

3. Remember the truck is going to swing out towards the side of the road away from the site. So, when making a 90 degree backing maneuver, start with truck and trailer pretty close to the edge of the road closest to the site, if that makes any sense.

4. When you realize you aren't going to make it, pull out and try again. Don't be embarrassed. We've all had to do that. And probably will again.

Those suggestions may not work for anyone else but they have helped me. Well, I still screw it up but sometimes can do it right the first time. Occasionally.

Good luck. I find I do it best when nobody is around to see it. And I am best at screwing it up when someone is watching, especially someone I know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote