View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #1
loua_loua
Established Member

M.O.C. #9330
Send a message via MSN to loua_loua
The Problem with Tire Pressure Monitor Systems

I wanted to relate an issue we had traveling to Lubbock Texas recently so as to warn everyone about the proper installation of a Tire Pressure Monitor. We have had a TPMS on our 2011 3455SA Montana for several years now, ever since we had a blow out on the Fredericksburg Va,loop which resulted in $3500.oo in body damage. We purchased the TST system and screwed on the tire monitors to the valve stems after upgrading to Goodyear G rated tires.

On our way to Lubbock TX recently, we stopped at a Flying J and I noticed one tire was starting to fail due to a broken spoke on the Aluminium Alloy Rim. Luckily we were just down the road from a camping world and they put on the spare and we were off. The next day the TPMS monitor went off and the right rear tire was loosing pressure fast. We called our road side assistance folks, they sent a guy out and found the valve stem was the culprit. He replaced it and we were off again. The next day, same thing, a valve stem problem on the left rear. Once again, we got it fixed and were on our way.

We found out that if you're going to have a TPMS monitor your tires, you better put on metal valve stems. The sensor offers too much resistance and WILL eventually damage the rubber valve stem, even if it is one of those high pressure stems you need for the G rated tires. But here's the catch. We were told by the Goodyear Dealer in Lubbock you can't put metal valve stems on Alum Alloy rims. They don't make them and the ones at the Auto stores, won't fit. We replace the Alum Alloys with steel, and metal valve stems and drove from Lubbock to our home in Pa without a problem.

I wanted to let everyone know our experience so you can watch out for cracked valve stems if you use the screw on type TPMS sensors.
loua_loua is offline   Reply With Quote