View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 11:40 AM   #20
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
One thing in my hope chest for California.. Please lift the 55 mph speed limit on trailers. It is extremely dangerous. While driving south on 395 from Susanville to Reno, the speed limit is 65 for cars. The speed limit towing is 55 mph. I had quit a few cars behind me with no turnouts. A pickup passed us and nearly hit an 18 wheeler head on!. The pickup used the shoulder on the opposing side to avoid a crash. This area of 395 is one lane each direction ..sorry, off subject..

Just drive 63-65 if it's posted 65 for autos. I've passed many CHP and other LEOs at that speed towing in that area and on HWY 70 west of Hallelujah Junction. I've never had an issue and they kept driving. I think it's discretionary as it's safer for all traffic to travel at the same speed than folks trying to pass me going 55--especially on those two-lane highways in the Sierras that are mostly straight in many areas.

The 55mph limit for towing will probably never be raised. I think they've introduced legislation to get rid of it in years past, but the legislature doesn't do anything with it.