View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #43
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
Here's a horror story.......

Neighbor decided to move from a bumper pull to a fifth wheel. His first fifthwheel RV. Sold the bumper pull then bought the fifth wheel. A relatively light and small fiver but nice.

Unfortunately he did not do enough research on his truck. Oh, he checked into pulling capacity and pin weights, etc. which all checked out. But he ran into a real problem when looking for a compatible fifthwheel hitch.

You see, he owns a Ram 1500 crewcab with the 5' 7" box WITH the Rambox option. The very short box dictated an auto slide hitch in order to make any reasonable turn on a city street. But the Rambox option still restricted the turning radius due to the "thickness" of the truck box sides. The width inside the box is less the 4'....not sure how much but I'd guess 3' 9". The pin arm (?) of the trailer hits the inside of the truckbox if he turns too sharp.....even with the autoslide hitch. Not good.

The only hitch he could find that would give him a reasonable turning radius cost him over $4000 CDN installed. The fact that the truck also had the factory airbag suspension complicated the hitch install. (I think he got taken advantage of.)

So.... even though I am a fan of Ram products (I owned a Ram longbox dually diesel and loved it), I strongly suggest to stay away from any Ram truck with the Rambox option.
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote