View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #25
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
[quote]Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I carry 6 or 8 2X8s about 15 inches long. I also had the plastic Lego like blocks but found scrap lumber cheaper so if I lost one or break one who cares. There's always another construction site near by and usually they are only to happy to get rid of some scrap pieces and now you know why I carry a 7 1/4" circular saw.

Now here's a little trick I learned.
If you need to raise the rig 2 inches use 2 2X8s, one under each tire. But what if you only need to raise it an INCH and all you have are 2X8s?? Carry 1X lumber? NO need to! Cut a 2X in half? NO not hardly! Don't bother as it's only an inch? NO! Even an inch is a lot if your sittin for any length of time.
It's really quite simple. Just use 1 2X8 under one of the tires and nothing under the other and it'll be level. Don't believe me?? Don't blame ya. I didn't believe it either until I tried it. Next time you have the rig hooked up give it a try.

Hi Glenn,

We still have not used the orange blocks that I bought from you at last year's rally, at least not for levelling the trailer. We do as you do with 2x8's. I had not thought about your trick, but I guess that is why they call those cast iron bits between the wheels "equalizers". I'll give this a try, because Donna has been asking for thinner boards for levelling. She seems very sensitive to levelness.

Thanks for the tip. See you at the rally (Want to buy some orange levelling blocks?)

OntMont (John and Donna)
2005 Montana 3670RL
2001 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 CC Duramax (& 53 Ford F-10)
(2007 Silverado "Classic" 3500 DRW 4x4 CC D/A on order)
2001 Border Collie to ride herd on us.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote