View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #19
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
While the Timken bearings might be better I’ll keep running the Dexter OEM on my 7K axles..

Seven seasons of towing, 35K miles or more, mostly mountain areas and I see no reason to replace. The Dexter OEM brake shoes have held up quite well also.. these are the originals ...

We had a half way decent day so we got into one side of the camper. Races and bearings look very good. The shoes look decent. A little more wear than yours, but still quite a way to go.

Putting the wet bolts in on that side took quite a bit of time, about 4-5 hours, but I suspect the other side will take about 2. The only real problem we had was getting the splined bolts to suck in all the way into the hangers. The first took 1-1/2 hours. The next about 10 minutes. The problem was the width of the hanger with the spring in it was less than the length of the shoulder portion of the bolt. We ended up taking a 5/8" flat washer and cutting a wide slot into the washer so we could slip it between the spring and hanger on the splined side. It sucked in quite nicely then.

Now we have an inch or so of snow this morning so the other side will have to wait for a better day. My shop is just too darned small.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote