View Single Post
Old 05-28-2023, 03:58 PM   #14
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I spent my career working for an auto manufacturer. We had an engineer in our department who had worked for GM previously and was on the R&D team for the Duramax. I asked him which diesel pickup he would like and he replied: "the Cummins engine with the Allison transmission on a Ford chassis". Good luck finding that one; actually good luck finding much selection on any diesel pickup now, they seem to be having issues manufacturing them. I haven't personally shopped for one in a few years, but I hear they are getting sticker +$, no negotiating at all. Conversely, if you do find what you want, you're more likely to get more $ for trade-in or private sale of your truck than you might imagine. I used to own a 2004 F350 srw to pull our previous camper, but sold it shortly after the camper caught fire from the Dometic refrigerator and didn't need it any more. I still see a few of that vintage on the road.

I objectively looked at all 3 manufacturers when I bought mine and ended up with an F350 mostly because I thought it to be the most comfortable to drive and got a much better deal for a truck with the highest trim package. The only real drawback I have is the turn radius seems very long.

The other drawback I see with the F450 is the only rear axle ratio offered is 4:30 which has to be detrimental to fuel economy. Mine has a 3:55 which concerned me a bit at first but has pulled my 40 footer with ease everywhere I've gone. Where you live and where you plan to pull would be a factor here. I get between 11-13 mpg while towing and recently took a 600 mile trip with just the truck and it averaged 18 mpg for the trip.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote