View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
The 550 is more like the entry level MDT. The internationals and smaller freight liners are probably the king of the hills of MDT.

Not sure how much I can pack in the trunk yet as the Spyder is still very new to us. It is the RT Limited with full bags supposedly for touring. The weight is about 1000 lbs dry. I think the length is 101" not sure about the height and about 3" to the seat.

Thuenz thank you for sharing your opinions and experiences that is what we are all here for. It just happens that my experiences have been different then yours. I think there is quite a difference between commercial miles and the miles we would put on a converted hauler meaning the wear and tear would not be as pronounced.
Height will be the main limiting factor as you can only go 13'6" total height. With 7' of living area height, 2' from the ground and about 1'6" of framing for floors and ceilings your left with 3' of possible garage. You can add at least 18" of height if you go rear bedroom and use the space under the bed as part of garage like the HC 381TH does (even more if the bed lifts like it does on the 381TH). But that bed area only helps one toy (IE: the side by side for us).

Obviously there is no issue with height on kayaks, canoes and small fishing boats (think Aluminum jon boats and plastic mini pontoons). I think with a low profile trailer I can get a jet ski below 3' high and with some ingenuity I might even be able to design a cradle that would tilt a 2 wheeled motorcycle enough to be under 3' maybe.....

The Can Am Spider is considerably lower profile than a Goldwing or Harley Trike so as three wheelers go it might be the go to. I have even thought about having a drop down midship area in the middle of the 5th wheel that would give some extra height. Sort of a Low Boy style concept? Might require going Independent Suspension to make that work but I planned on that anyway.

All these ideas are possible I think. Its just not something the big volume low strength builders would ever consider. I don't think they realize how big the empty nesters with toys and lots of disposable income market really is. There is a Hugh potential market out there for folks who use their RVs as base camps while they pursue hobbies that include power toys. The success of the HC381TH floor plan has proven that!

And lots of those folks have more than one hobby/toy. What we have to get them to realize is that not everyone with toys owns a Harley. They capture the full potential of the market they have to take the blinders off and build the garages to fit the toys not the other way around.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote