View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Towing on 3 wheels?

2018 3950BR.

Had a wheel bearing catch fire yesterday. (Witness said fire, but I wonder if it was just destructive smoke?) Got into a parking lot, extinguished the area. Damage was localized, but the whole assembly is really fouled up. The brake assembly has several inches of side to side motion. Putting a wheel on there, even for a 1 mile slow haul is likely to do more harm than good.

I’m working with Good Sam Roadside assistance and they say I need mobile service and not a tow. I was skeptical, but after talking to some tow places they seem to be right. Trailering this unit makes it too tall. They won’t do it.

So the hunt for a mobile tech who can fix this is being worked by GoodSam.

Meanwhile, I’m 1 mile away from Les Schwab, who can fix this thing. They can’t do it remotely though and I can seem to bridge that final mile.

I’ve heard you can chain up an axle and limp short distances, though that really scares me. There’s also really no place to chain it to the frame. The spring isn’t broken. It might be possible to do a 5mph drive to Schwab on 3 wheels but we’re close to load capacity and frankly that idea terrifies me.

Anyone have any experience with that? It’s the passenger side rear wheel.

Exploring all options. Feedback would be appreciated.

-Jeremy
Bierp is offline   Reply With Quote