View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Hitch on Montana's

To those who might be interested:
I called the Keystone customer service number today to inquire about a statement that a salesperson had made at a local Rv show in Grand Rapids, Mich.
While viewing a new 5th wheel model (not a keystone product) with this salesperson, I made the comment that I wish keystone would not void the warranty on the Montana due to the installation of a rear mounted hitch. This Salesperson told me that this wasn't true, that keystone does in fact allow hitches to be installed if bolted on to the frame. That keystone only objected to a hitch that was welded onto the frame. I decided to not take this individuals word as gospel and called Keystone. I spoke to a gal who I believe identified herself as Tammy. She told me that Keystone would not warranty any damage that was caused to the trailer by the installed hitch. Wanting further clarification, I asked her, do you mean if I had a hitch installed on the rear of our Montana and I backed up into something with the hitch and this caused damage to the trailer in any maner, that keystone would not be responsible and cover damage? Her repy was yes. I said I concurred and wouldn't expect them to. I pressed further and asked her if it made a difference whether the hitch was welded or bolted? I told her I didn't have a hitch in mind as yet and I was leaning towards one that was bolted if available. I explained that I only wanted to carry several bicycles on it. She didn't answer the question directly and referred me to her supplier, the Lippert Frame Co. and suggested that I tell them what I had in mind and see what their response was. I'm not sure about this action. It would appear to me that she would know or should find out what the keystone position is on welded versus bolted hitches. Does passing the buck come to mind? What do the rest of you folks think?
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote