Thread: Retired!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 11:39 PM   #23
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa_5er View Post
Nobody is guaranteed more time. I was 20 years old when my father died. He was 55. Years later, once I stopped 'self medicating', I realized what a shame it was for my mother and father that my dad passed so young. I really could've worked a few more years, I'm 63, but decided I could always make more money if needed. After all, money is the root of all evil. Thank you!
No, none of us is guaranteed more time, but remember that none of us has a guaranteed end date, either. And it may not be true that you can always make more money if you need it.

I'm only 54, but several friends and classmates from my early life have already died--
two just in the past week, from cancer, at only 55. On the flip side, I also know of a woman in her '80s who sold her house and moved into expensive assisted living, thinking her health was so bad that she wouldn't live much longer--but now her health has improved, her house is gone along with most of her retirement money, and she will probably have to move in with one of her adult children to live out the 5 or 6 years she's probably got left.

One couple I knew as full-timers, the husband had a stroke and died just a few years into their full-timing adventure--so now the wife has had to go to their plan B, to live out her 15 or so more years. And another couple I knew as full-timers, intended when I knew them to stay in their RV on their daughter's property, as their plan B--but new zoning laws will make it very difficult/illegal for them to do that now.

I tried to send you a PM--I don't know if it went through or not--but the point I made in it was that the world is changing very quickly--so absolutely, enjoy your life!--but remember to make some realistic back-up plans. I've found that life never gets more predictable, no matter my age.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote