View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #19
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Pump your own

As a native Oregonian, yes the attendant pumps your gas for you. The law was invoked decades (centuries) ago by the state fire marshal. It was considered dangerous to allow the untrained to pump their own gas. I worked at my cousin's gas station in high school and college and pumped lots of gas. Washed windshields, checked oil and coolant, and did it all pretty much. Today they are no longer called "service stations" just "fuel depot" or "gas station" these days. Eastern Oregon is farming/ranching country so those good old boys know what fuel they need and how to fill it, be it tractor, combine, truck, etc. I am not sure that most people today in this area (the large cities) would even know where the heck the gas fill area is on their car. And of course some people don't like the "gas smell" on their hands (diesel is worse). All this said, times are a-changing. There is a move to relax the pumping restrictions and let people pump their own gas. However, I bet that most in the big cities will still prefer/like the attendant to pump it for them, especially on those cold rainy days you don't want to get out of your warm car!! I do find it interesting that at Costco, it's mostly older fellows working the pumps, while at Fred Meyer it's a younger crowd!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote