Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

OK, you've got the same converter we do. It's a multi-stage unit, so it's possible it will run the lites but not enough to charge the battery. For it to charge the battery it needs to put out between 13.5 to 14.5 (if you get much over 14.5 it can overcharge and burn-out the battery. Another easy test, with the converter connected in the Monty and shore power connected, run the slides in or out and have someone listen at the converter (don't know where your converter is located) if working propertly you should hear the fan run for a short period of time while the converter pumps out max to the batteries to recover from the heavy draw of the slide pump. Another thought is checking the specific gravity of the battery with a hydrometer or even take the battery to a Advance Auto/Auto Zone/PepBoys, what ever is near to you and have them load test the battery (most of those places will do it free of charge). Good luck
Thanks for the tips, I removed the converter, and plugged it in, and it was putting out 14.2 volts, reinstalled it , and it was putting out 14,2 volts at the battery. Ran the slides in ,and out, and the converter fan came on for a short time. It looks like all is well with the converter. I replaced the battery, so hopefully all is well. One other question, how fast do these type converters charge up the batteries, if say they are half drained, thinking about running two batteries . Was told today by a service guy at the Montana dealer he would but a separate charger on the batteries when running the generator to speed up the process, so not to have to run the generator as long when recharging the batteries.
While I hope you are right for your sake about the converter, I just want to say that ours had an intermittent problem - sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I finally replaced it and haven't had problem since.

You could be right, it still troubles me that the battery was completely dead, with the RV plugged in, and then it charged up on the bench out of the fifth wheel. The battery is bad ,but it still took somewhat of a charge. IMO it should not of been completely dead. I will keep an eye on what the converter is putting out, I don't want to ruin two new batteries
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote