View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, thanks for the information. I was pimping you on the acceleration bit because I know you personally. I still should not have done that. You're right, it's apples and oranges. From what I've read, the 6.4 powerstroke and LBZ duramax are nearly identical in 0-60 times but I've not seen any real numbers on that. It's not a big deal either way, anyhow, since I don't use the truck to run quarter mile strips anyhow.

My 6.0 goes to high idle after two minutes. I "think" it is only below a certain temperature but haven't really paid that much attention. I know it does it with temps in the upper thirties. I'll have to pay attention to this. I don't normally start it up and let it run that long except in cold weather so haven't observed what it does at higher temperatures.

I use the right side armrest so will have to see if the console will adequately work for me. Or maybe it's just certain seat/model combinations.

CJ-4 is the latest spec for oil, due to the new emissions requirements. It is available in most brands and probably will be in the others before many of these newer engines are on the road.

I see Bill Collier got his new 6.4 already. That surprises me since I'd heard they won't be available until March.

Ken, I hear you. I had an '03 6.0, too. A fairly early one. It had the stalling problem. It took a number of tries to fix that but it was a good one after that. This '05 is much better, considerably stronger.

However, I'm not sufficiently comfortable with it, given the past problems, to keep it past the 100k mile warranty. I'll hit that mark before Fall. My window for trading is when we're in the Kansas City area this summer, from late June to late July. My quandry is the Ford has a brand new engine, even though it has undergone 10 million miles of testing including a large number of miles done by real world people in their real world use. The Cummins is also a new engine, the 6.7. The Duramax is still the 6.6 but I understand has some major changes, enough that it nearly qualifies as a new engine.

So, my choices are to go with essentially a new engine or wait and trade later. I'm looking for everything I can read and everyone I can talk to with actual experience with them (hello Bill Collier and SueC - have already emailed with them) and will make my decision when the time comes based on, among other things, what I'm hearing about the new engines. If it were just based on numbers and strength of frame, etc., it would be Ford without a question.

GM's 3500HD SRW is available only in the longbox, with is a negative with me. But not insurmountable. Dodge's 3500 SRW crew cab's back seat area is a bit smaller than I'd like. So, I guess I'll keep on watching and reading for now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote