Thread: Maiden voyage
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #32
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Don View Post
Thank you. The unexpected happened pretty quickly lol. Also the not so flexible campsite marker paid the ultimate price . Forty feet of trailer takes some real estate to maneuver. Neighbors were impressed but they apparently didn’t hear the crack of plastic as I rolled over the marker.😂
Your fortunate that it was JUST one of those plastic ones. Our state campgrounds here have 4x4 wooden posts, and while the may snap off, they can do a lot of damage BEFORE they break.

My advice to you on backing would be to let your wife do all of the hard work, ie: telling you where to go (well, not literally), and what to avoid. Backing a trailer with your wife can be like a husband and wife wallpapering, but it's imperative that you guys as a couple get good at it. We never back in anywhere without the wife doing the guiding, and she's excellent at checking, and maneuvering around to figure out what the next spot is to be concerned about. Yes, we've had our arguments about backing, and what she should be looking for, but it really comes down to you telling her what it is that you need to be successful in backing, and teach her how to give you that information.

Labor Day weekend, at our local state park, we rolled up onto a sight that is maybe only 25' wide (yes they are very small), and we had 5er's on both sides. To boot, it was a 90degree back in from the road, not angled. We pulled up, wife got out, and we stabbed it in there on the first try. Our neighbor with the biggest 5er came out to watch, and he told me later that he didn't even think we would get in there, let alone on the first try!