View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The Garmin 76Csx has long been discontinued and never had "auto routing" and although they were/are compatible with maps like "City Navigator and the US Topo maps the inability to auto route makes it less than desirable to find your way around in a city.

The Garmin GPS 60Csx (also discontinued)on the other hand does auto route even though it is a hand held unit as well.

If you are looking for a GPS that will give you verbal direction to a waypoint then I would recommend almost any of the Garmin Nuvi GPS' You can buy them with lifetime map updates and traffic alerts and they are becoming more sophisticated and less expensive.

Since you ask should you keep the 76Csx, I would say if you can find someone to buy it, then sell it. If you think you might be looking for co-ordinates out in the desert or mountains where no cell service is available then you will need a GPS to do the job. My Iphone4 has a gps app on it and I would never use that to find a precise set of co-ordinates, that is where I rely on my handheld gps.

I may be wrong because I have never tried the gps in my phone but I believe it uses cell tower information to triangulate it's position and does not have a true GPS receiver built in.

Hey if you just use the gps for the tide tables, there is most likely an app for that as well, so you don't need the gps at all....
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote