Thread: Axle Shift
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It was probably normal and it does look REAL bad when it's happening. Since trailers do not have differential as either axles this is gonna happen. I almost need this move to back my rig into my driveway where it is stored. I am getting better at minimizing the angle, but even when not jackknifing the turn those tires, wheels and axles are really getting torqued pretty bad.

Over a few months of short trips then returning the rig to its storage spot on my driveway, the shackles had to be replaced because they got bent, out of round and shown terrible wear. I now have the heavy duty shackles with the zerk grease fittings. After several years, they look much better now but I think it would be a combination of the updated and heavier duty shackles, their ability to be lubricated and my improved ability to back into my driveway with the 90 degree jackknifing I used to do.

That's my story. I don't know if that's exactly what you are seeing, but I just wanted you to know that some amount of the tires not sitting straight up and down on a jackknife turn especially when backing up will get some degree of this phenomenon.

I've also been told that after completing the reverse manuever with the rig, that it's important to drive forward and back in a straight manner to return the suspension to its straight up and down condition. In other words, don't leave the rig with the tirss in that odd aspect. It's bad for the suspension and the tires.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote