Thread: 3500RL
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
What I find rather humerous is how little difference there is between a 3/4 and 1 ton truck that is left out in this discussion. One could get the impression that a 3/4 Ton truck is a toy Tonka truck and a 1 Ton truck is a Kenworth. Same engine, same transmission, same frame, same body, same bed. A big portion of the difference is slightly heavier springs, in the rear only. Some have slightly heavier rear axles and bearings but if the brakes are not bigger and heavier one could get a distorted view of what of anything has been gained. In 2003 when I bought my F250 new, the F350 dually had less rated towing capacity than the F250 SRW. There are bigger differences now but one has to do their homework on the details before making gross generalizations. The devil is in the details.

I've read that more 4WD pickups go into the ditch when the roads are slick than 2WD vehicles do. Why?? Because the drivers think they are bullet proof driving a 4WD vehicle and as a result drive unsafely. I would caution anyone away from getting a false sense of security just because they have a 1 Ton vs 3/4 Ton truck when towing a large and heavy 5th wheel. Neither will stop on a dime.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote