Thread: Pulling in CA
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi01 View Post
Just a question for all the CA residents driving diesels. CARB requirements for all diesel trucks (registered in any state). As I recall reading, CARB via CHP? can stop any diesel vehicle and do a opacity test of your exhaust and also check to ensure your engine and all emissions components meet CARB requirements and certifications.
Actually this applies to Heavy Duty Trucks and Buses, not your light duty truck.
(ref: https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/hdvip/hdvip.htm )
The intent was to reduce the excessive emissions from the older, black smoke billowing, trucks and buses. Unless you have a modified light duty truck, with vertical stacks up along the cab and burning bunker fuel emitting a mosquito killing cloud, the chance of getting stopped by a pissed off LEO, who just paid to have their smog compliant vehicle inspected, is less than being hit by lightening *AND* winning the lottery on the same day.

Quote:
I know I am one person who will not travel in CA anymore as my truck has non-CARB certified modifications. It also does not have the CARB required DPF filter in the exhaust system not will I modify my truck to have one. No DEF, no regen cycles.

First let’s remember DPFs, DEF, etc are not just CARB requirements, they are also Fed EPA ones. You don’t mention what truck you have. If it was built before the various smog devices were required, then you are golden wherever you go. But since you wrote you have “non-CARB certified modifications” one has to assume your vehicle came with some or all of them and which have since been removed. Even so, this is no reason to not travel in CA. Do you realize how many vehicles are on the road at any time in CA? Certainly some of those are others who believe as you and have modified their smog systems. I know at least three who have done it. But I have lived here a long time and remember the smog in LA in the 70’s. The smog reduction actions have improved the air significantly. I am pretty sure your area has had its problems with smog or even worse, acid rain. It’s not that I like the smog equipment, but I like the results.

Quote:
I'm legal in Illinois where I live.
Are you? Your Profile says you live in Aurora, OH. Aurora is a city in Portage County. Therefore, it is registered in an E-Check county (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, or Summit counties) which requires an emissions test. (ref: https://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/emissions-testing )
This applies to all vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less. If you have a 250/2500 type truck you are required to have a bi-annual smog check. Now if you have something over 10,000 lbs GVWR you appear to be exempt from the reoccurring testing *IF* your noncommercial vehicle with gross vehicle weight ratings of more than ten thousand pounds passed a one time visual verification and inspection by an Ohio EPA representative. (ref: http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3745-26-12 (C) (2) ) One can only assume the purpose of the inspection was to ensure the existence of applicable smog equipment. I doubt the DMV would be pleased to hear it had been removed. Plus it appears there is a mandatory smog inspection at time of sale. It might be prudent to keep all that removed equipment for a while.

Not coming to CA because of perceived smog requirements seems to be overly cautious. But that’s your choice. Besides there are too many tourists here already filling up the parks and attractions.