View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with John that to find pinweight you need the weight of the *entire* truck with and without trailer attached. That's because of the weight shift between front and rear axles when the pinweight is onboard. Otherwise you get a false reading. It's still a good idea to have individual axle weights just to make sure you're not over GAWR.

Floridanomads, there's a lot of detail in the above posts and I've already forgotten what all was said. So forgive if I just repeat what others have already said.

You want the weight on each axle of the tow vehicle and the trailer. For the tow vehicle you want each axle with and without trailer attached. That's to make sure you're not over the axle ratings (truck and trailer).

You can add axle weights for the truck with trailer attached to make sure you're not over the truck's GVWR.

You can add all axles together to make sure you're not over the truck's GCWR.

You can subtract total truck without trailer from truck with trailer to get pinweight.

You can add pinweight to trailer axles to get total trailer weight to make sure you're not over the trailer's GVWR.

Ideally, it would be good to get weight on each wheel (or wheels in case of a dually). You then can make sure you're not over the tire's capacity on any one wheel. I'm afraid I've never done this part.

3575owner, if you weigh the truck separately, try to have the conditions as identical as you can to the combined weighing, such as amount of fuel, passengers, gear, etc. Otherwise you will just be close on your pinweight, not exact. Fuel and passenger differences can make a substational difference.

Your pinweight should be between 20 and 25 percent of the total trailer weight.

Anyone feel free to jump in and correct any errors. And please forgive if I just repeated.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote