View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #45
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have learned a whole lot through this post. Here's the summary of what is fact:

Tow Vehicle (TV) considerations:
#1. NEVER exceed the GVWR with cargo, passengers and trailer hitched up, PERIOD.
#2. The GAWR are the MAXIMUMS for each axle but their combined totals must meet #1.
#3. Make sure all tires on your truck exceed #2 and #1.

Trailer considerations:
#1. NEVER exceed the GVWR, PERIOD.
#2. If you can, know the GAWR MAXIMUMS for each axle but the total must be LESS than #1.
#3. Know the weight at the hitch pin (see below)
#3. Make sure all tires on your trailer exceed #2 and #1 minus the pin weight.

Don't use paper estimates of what your weights are or try and figure things out in your head. Take the time and effort to take your rig to the scales with all the stuff you take on a trip (wife, kids, pets, after market accessories) and weigh the following:

With the trailer unhitched:
a.) Truck Front wheels (FRONT GAWR)
b.) Truck Front and Rear wheels (GVWR)
c.) Truck Rear wheels (REAR GAWR)
Hitch up your 5er
d.) Truck Front and Rear Wheels (GVWR + Pin Weight)
e.) Truck All Wheels and Trailer Front Wheels (GVWR + Pin Weight + Trailer FRONT GAWR)
f.) Truck All Wheels and Trailer All Wheels (GVWR + Pin Weight + Trailer FRONT GAWR + Trailer REAR GAWR) aka CGWR Combined Gross Weight Rating)

It cost me $10 at a moving company down the street where I live because I didn't need a printout of each weight. The lady just wrote down each weight on a piece of paper. NOW, knowing these numbers, and doing some calculations, you can now evaluate how safe you are bounding down the road with your 10 tons of household.

From this information I found the only problem I had to solve was the pin weight. I was too loaded in the front of the trailer and had too much stuff in the truck bed but had a lot of weight to gain over the trailers' wheels. Before I travel I now move most of the truck bed and garage items into the trailer to redistribute the pin weight and meet the GVWR and leaving many things at home. Problem solved. Sure it adds time to set up and break down but at least I can say I am safe when I am bounding down the road and not an accident waiting to happen just because I haven't had any problems, yet. Remember only when the accident happens and you get weighed, if you exceed your ratings you are not only liable, you are possibly considered neglectful!

Btw - I have a pretty conservative driving style. I don't ever exceed 65 MPH because the trailer tires are only rated up to that.

Okay Dmaxdon, do I have this straight now, once and for all? I have also learned if I ever drive in Canada with my rig I will need a sticker on my license that I am allowed to drive with my CGWR.

Whew! I need a bigger truck so I can take more toys. Or, change the springs (the ONLY difference between SWR F-350 and an F-250) and get recertified for a new pillar sticker.

It's only money, but what's the price for safety?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote