View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #44
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Dmaxdon,

Not trying to convince anyone, in fact you will notice that I always recommend having some room in the ratings. But also this is subject to some common sense. I don't recommend anyone doing this but... If the ONLY difference, between two trucks both with the same axle ratings and one having a 500 lb higher GVWR and Cargo Capacity, is the rear overload spring and that same overload spring is put on the truck with the lower GVWR, the lower rated truck has a more capacity than what it started with even though the GVWR on the door sticker didn't change. Again I don't recommend this to anyone. I think we each have to decide what is a responsible decision based on many parameters including driving habits. However, I consider this one heck of a more responsible decision than not improving the weight carrying capacity. For example: IMHO, driving a 22,000 lb plus RV/truck combination at 75 miles an hour, in traffic, is irresponsible at any GVWR. There is allot more to safety than just being under the GVWR. So responsible decisions are a bit more complex than just following one single sticker on the door frame of the truck. Life isn't quite this simple or black and white.

BTW: I have read that in certain areas/states you CAN change the weight rating on the pickup truck legally. I don't know the details. I do know that in the state of WA you can license a big truck for weights that exceed the frame specifications. That isn't right either. The weight limitation on big trucks in the state of WA is largely determined by how many tread inches of tire you have on the road with an additional controlling maximum weight limitation per axle defined by 2 vs 4 tires per axle. I respect your recommendation to stay within the GVWR's. However, please also respect that there may be other views/decisions on this subject that are not irresponsible.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote