View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneH View Post
BB TX, What exactly is "ring out"...is that a check for continuity with a multimeter?

And, can you explain "butt splice" please?
Yes, ring out simply means checking continuity. Old electrical technician's term. Find the coax connector near the TV that is for connecting a sat receiver. Then jumper the center wire of that coax to the connector nut, which is the shield for that wire. A jumper wire with small alligator clips works fine. If you don't have one, you could take a piece of aluminum foil and stuff in the nut so that it touches both the middle wire and the nut. Then go to the convenience center and, using an ohm meter, check to see which coax connector there is a direct short center to shield. A meter with a buzzer or tone for a short circuit makes it easy.
Then, while one person holds the meter on that end, another person can remove and replace the jumper at the other end a couple times to verify the short appears and disappears.
And I would make sure that coax behind the convenience center does not connect to any splitter or box of any kind.

By "butt splice" I mean one of the small dual ended coax connectors used to connect two coax cables together. I don't think butt splice is the proper term for that device. Get the best quality one you can find.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote