View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Louise,
Once you get to your CO address you will be at elevations around 5600. If you go north to connect to I-80 you will climb to 6196 at Cheyenne. As you head west on 80 your highest point on the trip will occur at or near Laramie at around 8626. Further west at Rawlins you will be around 6900 to 7000. Once you get over this area you will be lower for the rest of the trip. Even crossing the mountains near Salt Lake City you are in the 6000 to 7000 foot range.

Next highest as you continue west on 80 you are more in the range of 4000 to 5000 foot range. Even getting over the Sierra Nevada west of Reno only gets you back up to the 5000 to 6000 range.

Of course once you are over the Sierras it is flat land sailing in the San Joaquin Valley. Take 99 south out of the Sacramento area and then take 132 east to La Grange down near Modesto area.

To exit the Valley stay on 99 south or go over to 5 and head south. Since you are already on 99 I think I'd just stay on it even though it has a lot of traffic. At Bakersfield make a left onto hwy 58 and head toward Barstow. The Tehacahapi range you go over only gets you up to about 4400 feet or so. You drop down the east side and into the Mojave Desert. Take 40 East at Barstow and head for Needles. Again all this area is well under the 6000 foot level.

At Needles make turn south on either US 95 on the CA side of the Colorado River or go to the AZ side and take AZ 95 south toward Lake Havasu. Keep going on 95 till you come to Parker, AZ. At Parker take 72 / 95 east bound. If you've never been to Quratzsite then take the 95 south directly into Q at the intersection of I-10. If you come thru that area in mid to late Oct. you will start seeing early arrivals for the Q season. If you don't get there until January then you will be part of the annual migration to Q.

Dick you did not say where in TX you want to go. If it is south then you will want to simply keep going east and south on 10. If you wish to avoid driving in the Phoenix area I'd recommend you take the Buckeye cutoff or the Gila Bend cutoff as it is also known. Not a freeway but a very good 4 lane / 3 lane / 2 lane road. They've just redone the road and it is very nice. This brings you further south into a little town called Gila Bend. Some good RV parks there and they are on the very $$$ reasonable side. You also hook up with I-8 at this city. Take 8 east to Casa Grande where it reconnects to 10 and will take you directly into Tucson. Tons of places to stay there but more expensive than was Gila Bend.

Then just stay on 10 till you need to take something different in TX. If you'd like info about the NM crossing and some of the TX just drop a line. Lots of folks take this route.
Please note that even as far south as you are on 10 you still will be in the 4000 to 6000 foot range while crossing NM. While not as dramatic as the northern crossing the Continental Divide is still up around the figures just given.

You've got an ambitious trip outlined. Should be fun! Enjoy and if we can help drop us a line. Of course if and when you come thru Bakersfield let us know and we'll share a cup of coffee or whatever! Remember we do have a FHU for a rig in our driveway. Not the best in the world but gets the job done. Ask Steve and Vicki Reigle. Travel safely, Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote