View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
My 2019 3950br has similar problems. There seems to be a mix of RG59/RG6 cable throughout the unit. No rhyme or reason to the layout. The OTA works great and that is where it stops. I toned out the most of the wiring and while there is DC connectivity RF does not go through well. Our park has xfinity in it and I get great signal strength at the pedestal and then I run a length of quad shield RG6 cable from the pedestal in through the window and got a great picture and good signal strength.

I then tried all three of the connectors into the monty and none of them would pass RF regardless of the antenna amp being in the on or off position. I began looking at the coax behind the connectors in the basement and stopped when I saw they all appeared to be RG59.

I will be running all new RG6 quad shield in a home run configuration for both satellite and cable. I plan to eliminate as many splitters as possible which should help boost the signal strength. The OTA system is running great so I will leave it be. In the front entertainment area I will add another f type wall plug which will be dedicated for CATV only. The existing satellite f type connector will have a dedicated line of RG6 run from it back to the entrance f type connector in the basement.

I can't see having more than two satellite receivers in the rig one in the front and one in the bedroom. Just can't bring myself to watch TV outside 8^) I use the TV in the spare room as a computer monitor.

My concern is the flex of the cable on the front slideout that has the entertainment center. The constant flexing of solid core coax will degrade the signals somewhat over time and eventually need to be replaced. I have been thinking of adding a small metal box under the slideout that would contain three f type bulkhead connectors which would parallel the Satellite, CATV, and OTA coax connectors. These would connect to a similar box mounted to the frame. The net result would be to make the replacement of the cables easier and you could actually just plug into catv directly if you desired.

Time to get the fish tape out......

Tom
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote