Thread: Truck tires
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
always go for the gold

[QUOTE=suny07;1186870]Hi,

this is not how they do OEM tires today anymore.
OEM tires are decided by 2 factors.
1. best purchasing condition for OEM manufacturer (Corporate contracts, Global plays etc)
2. Tire manufacturer marketing decision to convince buyer of their product and replace with same brand

In the 90s number 2 was a hughe factor for tire companies. they even produced special "OEM Quality" which was containing different rubber compound to optimize fuel consumption and more distance out of the thread.

This is not happening today anymore and what you see in the show room is a combination or compromise of the 2 above. Quote

Really who cares what the criteria was almost 30 years ago for tires from manufacture. The tow capacities of new trucks have drastically changed since then so manufactures have had to step up to real world and current conditions. No body was towing a 41` 16,000 lb camper or 45` toy hauler back then or even a few years ago. I don`t see much if any room for compromise at todays levels. Remember the Firestone fail with the tires that came with the SUV`s, they have learned their lesson. So I`ll stick with the ones that came with my dually (Michielins) and not have to think about tires until they have worn out.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote