View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #16
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
We all had a discussion about one of us that had a wall stud cut in the process of installing a dryer vent. Some replied and provided drawings for gussets attached to the inside of the bedroom wall.

Do you think similar reinforcements would be effective in preventing broken wall studs due to flexure?
Well, I am not an engineer and don't have a handle on exactly how extensive the RV industry's issues are with quality control on frame and wall construction. But with what I know now, if I had any reason to remove the front cap on my rig I would certainly look into adding gussets and reinforcements or at least double-checking everything is holding together as it should.

On the other hand, if I were not planning on keeping my rig for the long term or I had lots of miles and use out of it without issues, I might just crack a beer and not worry about it.

There are a lot of Montana's on the road, this issue appears almost as old as the RV industry and it's not just Montana's. Based on what we read on the forums and hear in campgrounds as to how prevalent the issue is, it appears not very widespread, just our bad luck with our rigs that have broken wall studs due to broken/inadequate welds, etc. I would think a 5-minute inspection of the welding/construction on the assembly line before closing in the walls would go a long way in saving everyone involved headaches and money.