View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #15
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Montana Man said
Do you think similar reinforcements would be effective in preventing broken wall studs due to flexure?

Interesting question - and I assume you mean a reinforcement that us mortals could apply as a preventative measure against stud weld breaking and resulting frame flex.

As I try to envision the length and height of the gusset that would need to be applied to the inside wall - I guess if I had a unit that was beyond its 3 year structural warranty - I might try to do this myself. I am not a structural engineer and I am not sure that I understand all the forces that would need to be counter-acted with a fixed gusset plate - and understanding those forces would dictate the design of the gusset. Do the weld breaks only occur at the base of the walls? Does it occur on both sides of the front section of the RV? How many studs do I have to capture with my gusset? My gusset can catch many studs but it only has that skinny little bottom track to hit with a screw fastener. I suppose I would put more screws into the bottom track than I put in the studs. So - with me not knowing the answers to these issues - my gussets would tend to get larger, longer and UGLIER! The situation would have to be pretty bad for DW to approve my proposed fixes!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote