Thread: Max Length RV
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 06:51 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My wife and I started tent camping some 37 years ago, moved to a pop-up, 18 foot travel trailer, 31 foot, 35 foot, and now a 41.5 foot fifth wheel.

We've never had a problem getting into any state park East of the Mississippi River anywhere so far. However, there are some sites inside the parks that would be impossible with a longer trailer.

Starve Hallow State Park in Southern Indiana has two sides to their campground. One side will accommodate 35 foot trailers and that is how the DNR web site lists them. However, the actual sites will accommodate a 40 footer as the actual asphalt and bumpered sites are longer than that. This side of the campground is easy to navigate and backing into the sites is not too bad, even with a longer camper.

However, the other side of the campground, which has sites along the lake are much smaller, especially the sites along the lake. In addition, that side of the campground has tight turning narrow roads with low over hanging trees. When simply driving through that side of the campground with my dually, I'm uncomfortable. I can't imagine towing anything through that side.

This is common in many of the state parks in Indiana. There is the older section of the park that is heavily forested and appears more primitive. But then new sections, more open, longer spaces, and not near as rustic feeling. More open, less trees, and just a newer feeling.

Traveling Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Virginia, states, we've never had problem getting a site with our 40 footer fifth wheel. But, the sites may not be in the "rustic" part of the camp ground.

One thing you have to consider when selecting sites like this, the campsite may accommodate a 40 foot trailer, but can you actually navigate the road to get there? So far, in 37 years, we've not had any problems anywhere. But, you do have to your research a little more careful.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote