Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

I've decided to go with the Lifeline GPL-6CT battery. It is a 6 volt 300 AH battery. I'm going with just one pair of those. They are slightly taller than the regular battery but with the higher AH rating I will only need 2 and at 82# a piece weight shouldn't be an issue or at least as big an issue as 4 batteries. 4 of the Deka/East Penn AGM's rate out at 380 AH so putting these two in will put me at 300 at half the weight!
I looked at those Batteries you are getting lots of power there. So did you wire you inverter into your panel? What i want to do is wire mine into my Generator set up i do not use. So I have power to whole rig. What I am not sure about is (as i have not looked into it yet) I must have to disconnect the battery charging is what I'm thinking if I wire it in. I know someone said they weird there converter on its on breaker so they could turner off the converter. I'm hoping I can get this info here to get me started. Thanks again
This is a work in progress. I ordered the batteries today. Next week I'll install them. I have not installed my inverter yet as a 90 AH deep cycle 12 volt battery came with my rig and I knew it couldn't power it. I'll put the batteries in, a catastrophic fuse on the neg side of the battery bank. The inverter I plan to hook into the generator wiring/transfer switch temporarily until I get the Onan. After the generator is installed I'm not yet sure how I'm going to approach the inverter arrangement. It is probably better suited to have the generator wired into the existing transfer switch. I want it to access the charging unit. I'll cross that bridge when I get the generator.

I thought highly of my previous rig's setup. I mentioned in an earlier post, had the inverter on an external breaker (separate from the main breakers). It was very easy to do as I took the wires from it's breaker and physically took them out of the box and into the aux box that was fed by a heavy duty extension cord (wire only) hardwired to the inverter 120V side (breaker-ed of course). This way the inverter is not tied to the converter for power. If AC is wanted on that circuit, turn on the inverter on shore power, generator or while on battery power, they are the same. When on shore power or the generator the converter is replenishing the batteries. Maybe a three way transfer switch might be the answer, it would have to "know" if the 120 volts was coming from the inverter or the shore/generator power plant. Right now I'm going to leave the charger breaker in the OFF position unless I need to charge.

Right now I'm really excited to get the batteries installed.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote