View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just another experience for balance of the record:

We purchased our Montana at RV Connections in Panama City, Florida. They sent the proper papers here to Upshur County, Texas where we live. When we went to the County Tax Accessor/Collector's office to complete the registration everything was in order. We had to pay a few dollars (less than $10 as I remember) to make the sales tax come out exactly right, but there was never any question about the weight as supplied in the papers from Florida. In fact, we have NEVER weighed our trailer.

Annual registration fee in Texas is based on weight, not on value, hence is NOT deductable on Federal Income Tax, but the fee is based on the original weight as certified by manufacturer and no annual weighing is ever required. The exact same rules apply to automobile registration.

I may be wrong, but I think problems that some have experienced is because the dealers have not submitted the proper documentation. I just purchased a new automobile in Shreveport, LA and had the same good experience I had with the Montana purchase in Florida. The dealer in Louisiana supplied the proper documentation to our office here in Upshur County, Texas and I received my license plates directly from the County office--no problems.

My suggestion? If buying from a dealer in another state, have the dealer call the county Tax office in Texas at the time of final sales and signing of papers. The county officials will gladly assist in making sure the proper documents are sent. In our case, even the sales tax and registration were included in the total sale amount which I paid to the dealer (both in Florida and in Louisiana) and were, of course, sent directly to the county office in Texas.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote