View Single Post
Old 11-05-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
My Rainier and Tire Minder experience

I bought my 353RL new in 2017 with Rainier load range E tires. After 5 1/2 years and ~8500 miles of trouble free service, I'm replacing them with Sailun S637T's I ordered from simple tire yesterday for $180/tire. Rainiers (4) are rated for 14,100 lbs. Trailer GVWR is 14,300 lbs. Sailuns will handle 16,300 lbs. I've heard it said, and I strongly agree, good service gives good performance. From day 1 tires were balanced new, speed kept 60-65 mph, covered from elements, TPMS installed, pressure maintained via load chart after weighing trailer, and now, replacing them due to age although tires look great, no defects, never had a flat or leaker, and still good tread. I know some have had trouble with all brands of tires, this post is to show that with proper care and maintenance, marginal tires can give good service. That said, I've only put 8500 miles on them in 5 1/2 years, 3K of that on 1 trip in 2019. Rainiers are not the tire I would have chosen when buying tires, but that's what came new, and I'm not full timing and expecting to get 20K miles + before the Rainiers aged out. I've always been a Goodyear fan, but at $500/tire, vs Sailun S637T @180/tire, and all the good reports on Sailuns here, I'm giving them a try.
Also been using Tire Minder TPMS (non flow thru) since 2015. 1 sensor has died / destroys batteries. Even with a signal booster we sometimes (too often for us) find the system not updating. System may also go 30 mins before recognizing a no signal condition (confirmed normal per Tire Minder). Since most of our trips are in state, <250 miles round trip, and 6-12 weeks apart, I've been removing the sensor batteries while the trailer is parked at home to save battery life. The sensor cap easily unscrews allowing me to remove the battery without removing the sensor from the valve stem, it has not been a real issue to remove the sensors just prior to a trip, add air (usually <5 psi required) reinstall the battery, then reinstall/relearn each sensor to its respective wheel.
I have now decided to buy TST 507 4 sensor system with signal booster and cant decide on flow thru, or traditional sensors. I don't want the type mounted inside the wheel. Both the flow thru and traditional sensors require removing the sensor from the valve stem, then using a screw driver to remove/install new batteries, so my routine will need to change with the new system. I've read that some experienced slow fill rates with the flow thru sensors, but I doubt it would add more time than removing the sensor, adding air, then reinstalling/relearning the sensor? So here is a question...of those of you who have the TST 507 system, and don't remove your sensor batteries until they need replaced, how long are your sensor batteries lasting? If you chose not to get the flow thru type, what was your reason?
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote