View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #29
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

.....The questions that come up are...You are not pulling commercial or for hire. Are you required within the State of Texas to stop and be weighed like the big trucks. I hold a CDL but I drive right by all weigh stations because I am not Commerical...Do I have to stop and be weighed in Texas?? We drove across I -10 in Texas and never stopped??? I think I know the answer.. There are other Governmental agencies that regulate
Commercial interstate commence such as USDOT and FMCSA. Looks like Texas adopted the CDL testing and licensing part but not any of the other entities ..If so that is good.... All very Confusing///
Rich,
No. If you are not pulling "commercial" you do not have to stop at the weigh stations.

You do not "have" to possess a CDL to drive an RV. But if you have a CDL you can drive an RV. With that said, Texas actually has 6 classes of licenses. For the average Joe Q Citizen, who may be driving an RV, There is the "Class A," "Class B," and "Class C." These are not to be confused with the other 3 that allow driving a commercial vehicle; "Class A CDL," "Class B CDL," and "Class C CDL."

The first 3 are $24 for 6 years, and the last 3 are $60 for 6 years. Also, if you have a CDL and get a ticket you cannot take defensive driving as an opt-out - you pay the fine. Ask me how I know!!. Since, at my age, I do not plan on driving commercial anymore, I am most likely going to convert to the "Class A," license. I need that class since my RV is 27,000+ pounds.

If you see those MH's going down the road with the "tag" axle (two axles in the rear) they weigh over 40,000 pounds, typically. I wonder if the driver has a proper license. Driving is every driver's safety responsiblilty.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote