View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve correct.. I got carried away..The State does the testing. I got the training from the company I drove for.

"If you say a CDL licensed driver in Ohio cannot drive an RV without a different license, so be it, but not in Texas."

Wayne//I did not say that as Ohio has no requirement for RV licensing other than the regular Ohio state drivers license. With the Ohio Drivers License you can drive ANY vehicle as long as it is NOT for commercial purposes..just like Texas. We have to understand that the State issued license is actually two licenses in one.. The State of issue license AND the CDL license that allows you to drive a Commercial vehicle in any State.

Re: Texas... http://www.rversonline.org/ArtTXLicense.html

It would appear that Texas requires a CDL because of the weight of the RV..and that CDL is Federal Mandated CDL..same as the one we have and would also allow you to drive Commercial . That is a good thing and I hope that Ohio would do the same thing IF they decide to do it.

The questions that come up are...You are not pulling commercial or for hire. Are you required within the State of Texas to stop and be weighed like the big trucks. I hold a CDL but I drive right by all weigh stations because I am not Commerical...Do I have to stop and be weighed in Texas?? We drove across I -10 in Texas and never stopped??? I think I know the answer.. There are other Governmental agencies that regulate
Commercial interstate commence such as USDOT and FMCSA. Looks like Texas adopted the CDL testing and licensing part but not any of the other entities ..If so that is good.... All very Confusing///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote