View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 07:40 AM   #33
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
Here is my latest status in my solar adventure. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please chime in.

What I want to do:
I want to build a solar setup that will be the primary source of power to my RV. I want this setup to be self contained in a box with the panels attached to the top. It will sit 20 to 30 feet away from the RV. i want to be able to plug the rv into the setup for power, and disconnect it when not in use. We will mostly only be using the rv on the weekends. I also have a generator that I can use to charge the batteries, or run some ac next summer.

Here is what I have:
Cotek 2000w pure sine inverter
(4) vmax SLR125 AGM batteries
2003 Montana 3655FL 5th wheel trailer (50 amp)

Here is what I think I need:
A way to power rv ac from inverter. I think I can run the inverter to the beaker box to an rv plug and use the rv shore power cord to plug in to that. I can turn off rv breakers for what I don't want to run.
am I wrong in any of the above information, or am I missing anything?
As others have noted; there are concerns running your AC from the 2000 watt inverter. Perhaps you may be able to do this if you add a softstart to the AC, such as from here, https://www.softstartusa.com/ .

I believe most solar system designers suggest a minimum of 3000 watt inverter to run AC. The new Montana's with their Super Solar Flex package use a 3000 watt inverter, and have included softstarts and new high efficiency AC units.

Also, with the battery bank you have, it will be important to calculate your total available amp hours to determine how long you can run your AC. You may find you have only have a few hours of AC time from the batteries even if softstarts will work. And, then you have dead batteries that may requre a lot of generator time to recharge.

Given the supplies you have, I would try to run AC from the generator and not through the inverter. Perhaps you could find a manual or automatic transfer switch that could work to switch from the solar breaker box to the generator? Otherwise it may require manually unplugging the cord from the solar breaker box and into the generator, then fire up the generator to use AC.

hth

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote