View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I have an '06 F350, automatic trans., rig weight is ~21,000#. I use the T/H mode ALL the time when towing. Haven't run the Grapevine but do run the Siskyous both ways. The grades are ~ 6% for several miles. I agree, the first thing is SLOW DOWN BEFORE you hit the grade getting the rig under control first and down to the next gear . If you don't, later may be too late. Step on the brakes to get it to downshift and then I do need to apply the brakes to keep the revs and speed down. However, I need apply the brakes very seldom and not for long.

An exhaust brake, although a good piece of equipment, won't make up for poor driving technique.

I looked into the exhaust brakes but held off for the first year due to time & $$ constraints. At the time I couldn't find a unit that would work in my Ford including Pacbrake who is close to home.. They do have one now but I since realized I didn't really need it. As long as you get the rig under control before descending only judicious brake use should be necessary.

Of course if you don't have a T/H mode then an exhaust brake may be a necessity.

If I start towing where the grades are steeper and more numerous I may change my mind(????).
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote