Thread: new vehicle
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, your 3670 does not weigh 14,160 dry. Based on the Montana brochure, that's the GVWR, which is the max the rig is rated to weigh with full tanks and all your gear, food, etc. If you look on an inside kitchen (usually) cabinet door you should find a sticker that shows UVW (unloaded vehicle weight). That is supposed to be the shipping weight from the factory (does not include propane bottles or battery). I think you'll find it's closer to 11,000 lbs. When loaded for a vacation it will likely be around 12,500 lbs. More if you're fulltiming or load it very heavily.

For example, our 3295RK has a GVWR more than the 3670 at 14,300. (Montana GVWR for 2004 range from 11,820 to 14,340 (non-Big Sky models) with UVW from 8,760 to 11,460). Our UVW per the sticker is 10,760. When weekending/vacationing it weighed, ready for a trip, at 12,500 +/- a couple hundred pounds. For fulltiming, last time we weighed it, it was at 13,980.

In any case, it's a good idea to buy the truck based on the max weight, which is the GVWR you quoted. I'm partial to Fords as the magazines show they are king of the hill but you have to understand that that does not mean other brands are no good. It simply means that at this point in time the Fords out tow everything else (talking acceleration, hill climbing, etc., with test trailers up to 15k, per hardcopy and online magazines). Give it another year and it might be one of the other brands. That's just the way it works. All three can do an excellent job for you. So, in your shoes, I would choose the brand based on my own personal preferences, then look to which engine/transmission/axle/cab/bed configuration meets my needs.

You are considering the new F350. You can get that truck with tow ratings to 19,200 lbs and GCWR (max for truck plus trailer weight) of up to 26,000 lbs (tow boss package with 4.30 axle), in the dually. In the single rear wheel F350 the max is 17,000 tow rating and 23,500 GCWR. In other words, either the dually or the single rear wheel will meet your needs.

I have never seen a need for a dually, for us, at least. If you also tow livestock trailers where there will be a sudden shift in weight, then a dually would be my choice. Otherwise, my personal opinion is that this comes down to personal preference. If you are more comfortable with a dually, go for it. If not, then don't. As an FYI, we are towing 13,980 lbs with a 2005 F250 with 6.0L PSD diesel, 3.73 axle, torqshift automatic, crew cab, shortbed. I have not towed with this rig yet (bought it after we got to our holiday "home") but will this next Tuesday. Previously we towed this 14k rig with an '03 F350 supercab shortbed with the same engine, transmission, and axle. It was truly awesome at towing this rig, bringing many smiles to my face (Vicki tells me I grin all the way to the top of the mountains). Both of our diesels were pure stock, no performance enhancements needed. We previously towed it with a '99 F350, supercab, shortbed, with the V10. It also did a great job although the diesel is awesome. I probably should note that the new F250 has considerably higher ratings than our '03 F350. That's because of the new frontend, much stronger frame (based on the F550), new front and rear springs, and who knows what else. To top it off, we think it rides even nicer. This and the prior truck are both 4x4 with the new one being Off Road as well.

Sorry to be so windy on this, guess that's my nature. Bottom line is to go dually or SRW per your own preferences. Get the diesel or the V10. Either will do an excellent job for you. If you decide to go Dodge or GM, again get the diesel or the V10 (only available in used vehicles now) if Dodge, or the diesel or 8.1L V8 gasser for GM. If you go shortbed, like we did, be sure to get a manual slider for your hitch or get an automatic slider like the Pullrite Superglide (excellent but pricey but still on my wish list).

We've seen a couple of places where duallys were banned. Very few but they are out there. It's tough to find a drive through carwash that can accommodate a dually. Plus the parking issue. But some folks prefer the dually and figure these are minor nuisances.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote